Thursday, March 13, 2008

Holy Week



As I prepare for services on Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, and Easter I wonder how my sister churches celebrate this week. If you find a minute it would be interesting to know what you are doing this week coming. One of the programs we are adding this year is a Lenten youth Lock-in. We will have the kids over after school on Holy Thursday into Good Friday. They will make the bread for Communion, participate in the service by stripping the church of items that point to Christ, they will also keep me up all night I am sure! We will spend some time at dinner talking about Holy Thursday and Holy Week, and then on Easter they will process bringing the items removed on Holy Thursday back into the sanctuary as we celebrate Christ's resurrection. I am looking forward to a new 'twist' to the old, old story. Kids always seem to help us gain a perspective that is fresh, exciting, and challenging. It will be interesting to hear the questions and watch as they 'get it'. When Lent began I talked with our kids about the practice of giving something up as a sacrifice of solidarity with Christ. We have kids of all ages, so some caught on right away, others who are much younger did not. For instance, one little one immediately responded that she 'gives up' trying to open the door when she can't turn the knob. Still another reported to her mother about a week into lent that she would give up feeding the cats for the remainder of lent because Pastor Nancy said she should give something up. (Trust me I got in a little hot water over that one). Anyway, something new for us but always the Good News. My prayers are with you all as we come into this most blessed time. I look forward to hearing what is happening in your congregations as well. Peace for this journey, Pastor Nancy

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Even though Holy Week approaches, church business is still underway.... Is anyone from the classis planning to attend the joint meeting (Rochester & Montgomery classes) about Synod restructure? It's this Saturday (March 15) at the Owasco church..... Phyllis

Pastor Nancy said...

I can't I have a funeral. Do tell what you find out! Nancy